Wednesday, August 7, 2013

How to tell the difference...

  
   Alright, so I know it may seem simple to tell the difference between a migraine and a really bad headache but it may be harder than you think.


   Believe it or not, sometimes after a period of time or if you're getting treatment for your migraines, they tend to switch up their game.  Which in return they maybe harder to distinguish.  You may think that because you have  head rippling pain, that it's a migraine, it very well could be, or you just have a very intense headache.  There are a few pretty easy symptoms that always go hand-in-hand with migraines.


   Anytime you have sensitivity to lights or noise, that is the key signs that you do in fact have a migraine.  Some people have auras before a migraine hits some people don't, some people start out not having auras and then have them later on in life, of vice-versa.  I know that with a migraine you usually have unbearable pain, but that can change as well, especially if you start some type of treatment.  For example, I would always know when I had a migraine because I would have excruciating pain along with nausea.  But after I started my treatment with Botox, I would have a hard time distinguishing the difference between a migraine and just a regular headache.  I wouldn't get the nausea that I always had, and the pain was somewhat tolerable.  I finally came to realize I was having more of them than what I thought after talking to the doctor.  It is normal for your migraines to change, but it is also very important to talk to a neurologist about it, because it could mean other things.  Just make sure you pay attention to your migraines and headaches.  Take care of yourselves and best wishes!  


P.S. sorry for the delay, my computer went haywire on me...technology.  But the good part is, is that it's up and hummin' now.               


  


  


  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Prostaglandins is one of the migraine causes. Ginger blocks Prostaglandins. It also alleviates migraine symptoms such as nausea and headache.

Migraine Relief

Unknown said...

Thank you for your insight. I have tried ginger once and for me it didn't help with my migraine but it did help with nausea (I do want to try it again). I have heard it helps for some people with both nausea and migraines.

T. said...

Hi ES: I've had to go to the ER several times due to my migraines and always hear the staff refer to my SEVERE excruciatingly painful head pressure, nausea, and vomiting as a headache. I always want to slap the H#LL out of them because it's so disrespectful. Do they refer to motor cycle victim with half their body missing a little scratch. They need to call it what it is. A MIGRAINE. A little headache can have two extra strength tylenol thrown at it. A migraine needs an IV cocktail full of 2-3 major pain killers. Sometimes that still doesn't touch the pain.

Unknown said...

T;
I can identify with that, I also find it highly annoying when people call it a "headache". Because it's not, there's so much more to a migraine!
I hope the worst days are over for you!