Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Your typical ER visit with P.O.T.S.

When you have a chronic illness you've more than likely had your fair share of visits to ER, and you've more than likely ended up with a not-so-nice doctor.  When I've gone into ER for a migraine I've been told that I was there because I was trying to get out of school (it wasn't until I threw up all over that they kinda started to believed me).  And even now with P.O.T.S.,  I still get laughed and snickered at by ER doctors (or doctors in general), that I "don't really have a heart problem and I shouldn't worry".  I can't began to count how many times I've been told that it "was all in my head" or it "was anxiety".  I also can't began to count how many times I've been treated down right mean by a doctor or ER staff.  My family didn't believe me until one of them came with me and saw how some of these "professionals" act. It's especially annoying because I know what I need when I have a P.O.T.S. flare-up.  All I need is a bag of IV fluids, but apparently to some ER doctors it's like asking for a new blue ribbon pony.         

So my friend found this funny little video about real experiences with doctors/ER staff.  BE WARNED IT DOES HAVE SOME BAD LANGUAGE. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg7YvKousDM

2 comments:

Sammie said...

I'm sorry about your ER visits over here in the UK sadly, even with our NHS I've experienced the same poor care from Drs. I once read a book by an American Professor who studied Migraines. He likened the pain of a full blown Migraine as equal to having a leg amputated without Anaethesia!! Go figure that one ER Drs! I never want or ask for sympathy from anyone, I try to get on with my life, only to spend more days than not in bed - please Drs just show us a little EMPATHY, treat us with RESPECT and not like anxious hypochondriacs?? I hear you Elizabeth, hang in there. Sammie x (if you want to see my blog - not about migraines but my last post was? http://www.feastingisfun.com
This isn't a push for you to read my blog, it's just pretty hard to find from my name!

Unknown said...

hey, I hear ya! (and I will definitely check out your blog!)