Thursday, May 15, 2014

P.O.T.S.; my new struggle

   Wake up, dizzy again..."fun, this is going to be a great day" I think to myself. Walk to the bathroom lightheaded.  Stumble my way into the kitchen...grab something quick and healthy.  Shovel it down so I can take my salt tab.  So I can start my big mission for the day...building fluids. 

   Unfortunately, this is very familiar to people who suffer from P.O.T.S. (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome).  And this is just the tip of the iceberg.  A lot of the time people don't take this condition serious.  Even though it causes a long laundry list of symptoms, from sever to minor (I realize there are worse conditions out there, and thank the lord that I don't have any of them, yet).  I really wanted to sit down and write what it's really like living with P.O.T.S. but I found it extremely difficult. I just couldn't do it justice, so instead I thought I'd just give a brief description.  

   Living with P.O.T.S. can be very difficult, it's like being trapped in your own body unable to really control it.  And that is very scary to me, and probably to most people.  It feels like your body is an airplane and the captain and co-pilot left the cockpit and left the plane on automatic pilot.  Which makes simple daily activities nearly impossible at times, (you do have your good days and your bad days),  not being able to shop at a store, or get together with friends and family.  It definitely has affected the social aspect of my life, but thanks to a few people who have stuck by my side,  have accepted me. Since you don't have obvious signs of a problem people don't take you serious. The symptoms I have the most problems with would be, dizziness; lightheaded-ness; mental fog; memory issues; feeling like I am going to pass out; and weakness, (might I add all the peeing I do!  I feel like I should go into the toilet paper business!).  (It's almost worse than having migraines).  I have yet to find a helpful medication, (having only tried one; stated in my last post "new year, new med, new me").  I am hopeful that I will find something that will help me with symptoms, since there is yet to be a cure for P.O.T.S.  I take one day at a time, and focus on the positives.              
   


 

        
            

   

No comments: