Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What has helped me

   You don't always have to take medication to help with your chronic headaches, although if you've found something that works for you who am I to tell you to stop.  I would have to say that biofeedback has helped me the most.  As weird as it sounds they taught me to breathe, yes, breathe...the right way, through your diaphragm (most people don't even realize that they aren't breathing the right way).  I learned that when you breathe in your body tenses up but when you breathe out your body relaxes itself.  Its almost a type of meditation, once you can quiet your mind by focusing on regulating your breathing pattern, you'll find out that your body naturally relaxes.  Thus, causing your tension headaches to ease up.  If unfortunately you can't seem to find a good biofeedback therapist, there are other things out there that did cause some relief for me.  A tens unit at one point caused major relief for my tension headaches, (until I got botox, then...it wasn't so helpful!).  Getting a nice massage is ALWAYS helpful.  If a tens unit and a massage are out of your budget, I've found that even taking a hot shower can help, or a whirlpool.  

   Other things I have found out, is that when you're low on vitamins (Iron, magesium or most likely vitamin D) that it can cause a big problem with your migraines or headaches.  Just be aware of your body.  Things as simple as not getting enough sleep, water or food can cause havoc on your headaches.  I often find that having fun and forgetting your problems can have a positive effect.  And lastly I wanted to share a strange thing that I've noticed about my headaches.  I have two tattoos, and both times when I went and got them done I noticed that my headaches seemed to get better for about three days afterwards.  It could be something to do with all the nerve endings or simply because it seems to relax me, either way it helps.                    

No comments: